The Cedarland Development Group was awarded a $2 million dollar loan from New York State’s Better Buffalo Fund initiative to advance the redevelopment of Eckhardt Building at the corner of Broadway and Fillmore. Cederland purchased the building in 2015.
The $5.79 million project, at 950 Broadway Street, involves rehabilitation and conversion of a commercial building that is currently vacant and underutilized into a mixed-use, multifamily workforce housing project, including first floor commercial space and approximately 26 studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments. It builds on the momentum of nearby investments, such as the city’s installation of bike paths, stabilization/rehab of local properties by Broadway-Fillmore NHS and the Albright-Knox’s investment in a mural (Welcome Wall) directly across the street.
The Eckhardt’s Department Store at 950 Broadway (1940, Bley & Lyman, architects) is architecturally significant as an excellent example of a largely-intact, early Art Moderne commercial building. Designed by local firm Bley & Lyman for John H. Eckhardt, this sleek building is one of the most significant early Modern buildings surviving in Buffalo.