Safe summer fun has arrived as decade-long partners the City of Buffalo, BlueCross BlueShield of WNY, and the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy announce the opening of the MLK Jr. Splash Pad at the historic Humboldt Basin.
New social distancing and safety protocols will be implemented this year due to Covid-19.
- Open daily, 11:00am – 7:00pm (weather permitting)
- Entrances and Exits will each have a one-way location to assist with density levels
- Spray heads within the basin have been modified to operate 6ft. apart
- There will be City attendants, as well as security guards on site daily
- Footwear is required when in the Splash Pad
- Adult supervision is required for minors
- Use of hand sanitizer is recommended before/after play
- Practice cough /sneeze etiquette
- Unwell? Stay home. If you have symptoms, call the Erie County Covid-19 hotline: 716-858-2929
“For ten years, BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York has invested a total of $1M in MLK, Jr. Park. Partnering with Olmsted Parks Conservancy and the City of Buffalo, the restoration of the Splash Basin is a great way to stay active this summer, enjoying outdoor spaces in our community,” said Julie R. Snyder, Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York. “As a long-standing partner of the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy and the City of Buffalo, we are thrilled to kick-off another season at our beautiful, historic MLK, Jr. Park.”
“Our parks and our partnerships are crucial for our communities today more than ever” said Stephanie Crockatt, Conservancy Executive Director. “We thank Mayor Brown, the City of Buffalo, and BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York for their long-standing support, creativity and commitment to ensure this water feature will again provide summer respite for park goers in a healthy, safe and fun way.”
Together through a groundbreaking public-private partnership with the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Mayor Byron W. Brown and the City of Buffalo spearheaded the $4.5 million restoration of an all-season water attraction in MLK Jr. Park. In 2011, corporate partner BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York joined this unprecedented park effort committing $1-million-dollars over ten years to the Conservancy in support of the splash pad’s restoration and activation for the local community. This five-acre water feature, a designated BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York Healthy Zone, officially opened during the summer of 2013. It is a reflecting pool during the spring and fall and a natural ice rink during the winter.
For any inquiries on the splash pad, please contact Patty Wolfsohn with the Conservancy at 716-838-1249, ext. 11.