Former People’s Bank of Buffalo – 904 Broadway

People’s Bank of Buffalo at 904 Broadway (1925, Esenwein & Johnson, architects) is architecturally significant as an excellent example of an Adamesque style, architect-designed bank building constructed in the 1920s during the height of commercial development in the Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood. The bank was designed by Esenwein & Johnson, one of the leading Buffalo architectural firms. Esenwein & Johnson’s other major works in the Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood include two large industrial buildings constructed for the Duffy Silk Company at 1270 Broadway (1905) and 207 Guilford Street (1909), the structure is presently used by the Guilford Manufacturing Company. The firm is also designed the Buffalo Museum of Science (1929), which stands just north of the Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood.