(by Gregory Witul, Babcia’s Closet) Polonia has had a number of Walter’s Taverns in its 163 year history. Walter Mentel ran his Walter’s Tavern out of 166 Detroit, one block from St. Stanislaus Church while Walter Leonarczyk had his at 56 Grimes, not far from the railroad tracks. In the neighborhood centered on Clinton and Fillmore Avenue, Walter Dittmer had his own tavern at 863 Clinton St.
Walter Anthony Dittmer was born on April 17, 1899. His parents Catherine and John arrived in the U.S. in 1890 and settled their growing family in the East Side, keeping with Catherine’s Polish heritage.